Friday, April 18, 2008

An Acquired Taste

Every once in a while, I make it a point to acquire a taste for something that I don't already like. The first time it happened, it was with cranberry juice. When I first had it, I didn't like the dry aftertaste, but I liked something about it, I guess. So I just drank it every day until I started to like it. I am pleased to announce that it is my favorite juice.

Then, in high school, I got fed up with not liking tea. So often I would go places, and all they had were tea and water, and then I would get water and people would criticize me for not getting tea. "You are from the south, aren't you?" Jerks. I mean, all it is is leafy water. Anyway, I decided that I would show those criticizers and start liking tea. So every time I went to a restaurant I ordered tea. I would drink it when my mom made it at home. Every Wednesday night, I got it at church instead of water. Wouldn't you know it? Eventually, I started liking sweet tea, and now I drink it like it's no big deal.

The next natural step is coffee, but I didn't man into it like I did sweet tea. I had to gradually ease myself into that taste. I would start out getting the Moolattes from Dairy Queen, which are just milkshakes with a hint of coffee. Then, I went to Starbucks and got frappucinos, which are like the Moolattes, except a little more coffe-like. Then one day, I made the leap into coffee made in a coffee pot with lots of cream and sugar, and that is what I drink now.

My next goal is to start liking black coffee. It's gonna be rough. I'm kind of dreading it. I'm gonna have to someday soon just stop putting stuff in my morning coffee and drinking it down like a man. I have hope though, my taste acquiring has been wildly successful in the past. A year from now, my goal is when somebody asks me how I like my coffee I will respond, "Black!"

1 comment:

Sara Beth Stout said...

I hope you don't expect your wife to drink her "coffe" like that!
I love you!